Meet your next side dish staple. One that is perfect for holidays, potlucks, picnics...you get my point. Make this in the morning, cover, and put in the fridge then cook later that day or even one to two days later.
I add chives if I happen to have them, then top with smoked bacon, but these are just extras and not needed.
Seriously? You were considering not topping with bacon? Leela can't even look at you right now.
I like to switch it up and add sweet potatoes to the mix. And hey! Don't peal those taters. The skins will add immune-boosting vitamins as well as flavor to your dish. Sean was around and helped with the taters. He looks like a professional (check out that form).
Add the mixture to your favorite cast iron or casserole dish. The 12" double handle Lodge Cast Iron skillet is my go-to. Top with a few more pats of butter, chives, and smoked paprika. Bake right away or cover then place in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
Chop up the smoked bacon and top it off.
This dish is Gouda any day of the week.
🐶 Leela Storm’s Suggested Pairings
- You could seriously eat this as a main course, but I’d add lots more bacon!
- I love chives, so I usually add more. If you do not have chives, leave out of the potato mix and then top with scallions.
- Jalapeños would be an excellent addition for flavor and heat.
- No Gouda? No problem. Any cheese will do.
- This is an excellent side for smoked meatloaf.