It's September already and the summer is winding down. We dug up our own potatoes for storage and then went and picked up 25 pounds from our Amish farm to preserve. This is one of my favorite times of the year!
I started canning small red potatoes about six years ago. Who knew you could do that? Not me, but we have friends who do it, and naturally I wanted to try it too. It's fun to try new foods to preserve, and this is definitely a keeper!
Leela doesn't believe in preservation. She lives for the moment and devours anything she can in real-time, right before your eyes.
The Hotel's pantry is always full of wonderful canned goods.
🐶 Leela Storm's Suggested Pairings
- 🎵 David Bowie - Under Pressure
- 🍷 It's a full day, so drink anything you can sustain for 7 hours
- Do I have to do 25 pounds? Definitely not! This is a very adaptable recipe according to how many pounds you feel like doing.
- To peel or not to peel, it's your choice.
- The most time-consuming part here is cleaning the potatoes and waiting for the canner to get up to pressure and then cool down.
- The yield will vary according to the amount of potatoes and whether or not you quarter them or put them in whole.